(recipe adapted from Just Egg recipe)
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 med onions or 1 very large onion (yellow or white)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 cans of diced tomatoes (12ish oz each)
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dhana jiru powder (blend of cumin and coriander seeds ground up to a powder. If you don't have this, you can use just cumin)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- Handful of cilantro
- Vegan feta
- 1 cups of liquid Just Egg
LET'S MAKE SHAKSHUKA!
- Dice onions and bell pepper and mince garlic
- Heat oil in pan
- Sauté onions for 5 minutes
- Add garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes
- Mix in diced bell peppers, tomatoes and tomato paste
- Let cook uncovered for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Mix in spices and half of the cilantro
- Cook for another couple minutes allowing the sauce to thicken enough to make wells
- Use the back of a spoon or spatula to create 4 wells in the sauce
- Pour 1/4 cup of liquid Just Egg into each well
- Cover pot and let cook for about 10 minutes
- Chop up or crumble some Violife Feta and at around 5 minutes of the Just Egg cooking time, sprinkle this over the sauce (use however much you want, I used 1/4 cup)
- Once the Just Egg looks cooked through, garnish with the rest of the cilantro and scoop out a serving into a bowl.
- Drizzle Forager plain yogurt over each bowl and serve with warm pita or toasted bread.
- If you have sauce left over, you can save it for later and add Just Egg and yogurt for a second helping